23 January 2010

DIY Projects for My Closet as My Rip-off Skills Improve

When I'm online shopping (or browsing as this poor girl's case may be), I'm mostly thinking, "I could make that," the phrase that used to infuriate me when shopping with my grandmother because she never actually did make it for me. And I wanted the real thing anyway.

But now I'm broke, and DIY is cool.

So first I want to make this Sonia Rykiel dress by sewing an old lightweight cotton skirt to one of those silk tank tops that are always a dollar at the thrift store. I like the bow, but I'll keep it optional, and probably floral.


This dress is at Liebemarlene Vintage this week. It's a little trickier since I'll actually have to make it, but the baggy shape will be relatively simple to throw together. My favorite part is the little crochet collar - and I just got a book of crochet lace patterns I've been anxious to try out!

This Elizabeth and James dress looks easy, but there's a zipper on the side. Zippers are scary. I want to make this out of huge men's tee shirts. Dark grey ones. Yum.
This one's mostly just for my dreams. Eventually, I want to be able to tweak a pattern and come up with these adorable sleeves in a pretty, delicate fabric like Hannah's. But I'll really have to practice first - nice vintage fabric scares me too.

1 comment:

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

Oh, my gosh- I know -exactly- how you feel! I too am a poor girl (stay at home mommy so we're on one income) so I end up making stuff I see online! It's just so much cheaper to combine patterns and tweak things a bit to get what you want! I have faith in you, you -can- do zippers!! Practice once or twice on a piece of scrap fabric and you'll be a pro in no time. If you're taking sleeves from one pattern to put on another pattern, just make sure that the sleeve and opening are the same. If the pattern is the same size, you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!
http://vavoomvintage.blogspot.com/