17 December 2009

What I didn't do today

What I didn't do today is get out of bed before it got dark. I woke up around 10:30, but lazed around in bed for another hour, dozing and practicing opening my eyes, before deciding it was just too perfectly chilly and beautifully lit in my room to leave it.

First thing on my agenda was to take a picture of my toes. Aren't I silly; that's not true. But I did want to take a picture of the light and that was the best place to catch it. I apologize to those like me who think feet are pretty ugly. Don't look.

One of my favorite things about this apartment is that all you can see out of the bedroom window is a very old and under-trimmed camphor tree (which never loses its leaves) so it feels like we live in a treehouse all year long!

At this point, I kind of ran out of things to photograph without having to move.

I often like to think of my bed as an island. Even though we have a whole other room I could do stuff in, I like to live in the bedroom. We even eat in bed most of the time. I keep my favorite books, my computer (which also means my movies and my music), and my camera by the bed. And yesterday, I happened to move my flute nearer too, so today I really didn't even have to get out of bed at all!


When I finally decided to take a shower and get dressed, it was dark outside. Sidenote: I am so excited for winter solstice next week and the shortest day of the year so that we get some daylight back soon.

At this point in winter, I always feel stuck in a rut. I've figured out my favorite pieces to wear to keep warm, and continually go back to the same things. Also, those things that keep me warm aren't necessarily any kind of body-conscious (except the minidress-over-two-layers-of-tights-with-thigh-high-socks combo which gets old just as fast as anything else), and I start feeling like a frumpy old lady who has forgotten she used to be pretty.

So today I dug out my favorite pair of heels in order to remind myself that I am still a girl.


I built the whole outfit around the shoes. Purple socks that match the purple leather. Grey skinny jeans just because 1)I'm sick of tights, 2) my regular blue jeans are dirty, and 3) the black skinny jeans I wanted to wear got stolen by a hipster boy. (But, that's what I get for hanging out with a hipster boy - all they want is access to your closet.) Slippy, extra-long camisole under a super over-sized men's cashmere sweater so that I don't look too girly-girly. And silly little braided headbands to confuse you by looking girly again.

This is an awfully pose-y picture, but I swear I had to stand like that to get my whole self in the frame. Heels make me over 6' tall!


Sweater: thrifted
Slip: thrifted
Jeans: UO back when they were all the rage
Braided headbands: made by me!
Purple socks: Target
Best heels ever: XOXO

Apparently, I also didn't socialize enough today, as evidenced by the epic length of this post.

1 comment:

littlebyrd said...

I love it! Love the post, love your outfit. Have a wondeful weekend :)